Friday, December 3, 2010

Wow. 4 Months!

Hello Blogland!

I can hardly believe it has been 4 months! So much has happened. So much I want to fill everyone in on. I can't do it all tonight, but I am going to try to start up writing again, as I miss the outlet.

I'll give you the quick and dirty catch up, and go into more detail later as the mood hits me.

Hubby came home from Korea, after over a year of us not seeing him. It was so incredibly wonderful. I, being the emotional woman I am, rushed into his arms and just cried with gratefulness to have him back again. The feeling of his arms wrapped around me was divine! His smell, the sound of his voice not distorted by the phone, it was just incredible. There just aren't words that describe the feeling accurately, when your soldier comes home! My cheeks hurt from all the smiling. :)

We were blessed to have a family that his mother knows allow us to use their lake house for a few days of honeymooning and then with just our little family. I have a video of the kids being surprised by him. It makes me tear up just to think about it. I'll have to try and post it here later on. They didn't know he was going to be there, and their "great big present" I kept promising them surprised and thrilled them!

After our week at the lake house, we went around and visited family. I had already moved from Tennessee and was just bumming visiting with family until the big move to Germany. We had all of our things sent ahead so that we wouldn't have to wait two months for our household goods. So we relaxed and hung out and "bottled up" our time with friends and family.

Finally, the time came to leave. It was emotional. There were lots of tears. It was sad to leave all of our loved ones, but exciting to embark on a new adventure. The kids had never flown before, so this was a really big deal. They were scared at first, and still heartbroken over leaving family, but after a while they settled right in and enjoyed their little TV screens and "cool" airplane food. Mommy enjoyed a glass of wine. ;) It was crazy during our layover in DC, and I just wanted to relax. The kids and Daddy slept well on the trip...I didn't, but that is ok. I survived. :)

Then it was time to land. We left VA in 70+ weather. We arrived to 50-60 degree weather, and raining. I'm SO glad I packed the kid's jackets. Leaving the plane I got one of the nicest compliments in the world. An elderly lady stopped me as I was getting off the plane with the kids and told me she had never seen such well-behaved kids, and that she was so impressed. It totally made my day! Sure, they can be awful at times, but those moments when they DO listen, and do it publicly, I feel less like a failure and more like a victor.

So we left the warmth of the plane and stepped into cold, rainy Frankfort. Now there, you don't always walk along a walkway into the airport straight from the plane. Instead, we all PILED into a bus. Like sardines. I WISH I were joking. What made it more interesting is that the bus had an accordion middle, so that it could bend. Again, I'm not joking. Lucky me and my hubby were standing/sitting on top of luggage in the accordion part, so every time we turned we were either falling apart, or squishing together. Odd, I tell you. Then we showed our passports and went to get our luggage.

At the luggage area, we met some soldiers posted there to help incoming military members with navigating customs, etc. I was expecting a long customs line with suitcase digging and fidgety kids.


We followed the soldiers through a few green doors and entered the main area. I asked where customs were and one of the soldiers pointed at the green doors and said, "That was it ma'am." Apparently military doesn't have to deal with that kind of thing. AWESOME. We were then escorted to a private, guarded waiting area just for US military and their families. The kids could run around and it was so nice to not have to stress too much. I walked forever to find a place for food, since it was well past lunchtime, and found a McDonalds in the bowels of the airport. Their food is better... sorry America! More expensive, but way yummier!

Afterwards we lined up and got on our respective buses, and after a while of watching crazy autobahn traffic (I was pretty sure we were going to wreck a couple of times there), we all drifted off to sleep for the rest of the 2+ hour bus ride. When I woke up, I thought I was dreaming. Climbing up the side of a mountain, our bus was drifting through a fog wisping in and out of dark forests and beautiful pines scattered up the mountainside. I was breathless with wonder. It really was gorgeous.

When we got to our new destination, it was a bit crazy. We couldn't stay at the military hotel, they were full. So we ended up staying at a local German hotel. Oh, how different they are!! Not bad... just different. We all collapsed into bed and went to sleep. The time change was crazy, but luckily, we were all exhausted from the trip, so sleeping by the time it was nightfall was no problem. :)

More to come...

1 comment:

  1. Wow Germany now, sounds like a cool trip on the way there, can't wait to hear more about it! I Love the fact that your Hubby is home!!!